The first patch for Quake Champions in nearly a month has finally arrived and with it comes a partial data reset for existing players. Beta testers should be familiar with the practice by now but since this is an open beta sometimes players are caught off guard by data resets and progression loss. Developers do this for a number of reasons: testing new systems, getting feedback on progression changes or deeply rooted system or data changes that necessitate players be taken back to square one.
As for what was reset: any challenge progression for challenges left incomplete and the overall statistics data for players accounts have been wiped. Unlocks like shaders/skins from Loot Boxes and purchasable vanity items have all been reset as well. Individual nicknames and skill ratings remain intact alongside unlocked champions.
Here is a segment from the recent patch notes:
Player content that will be reset include:
- User States (Armors, Weapons, Attachments, Shaders, Currency)
Content that will NOT be reset includes:
- Skill Rating
Currently, the Quake Champions community is in the midst of a $1,00,000 world tournament on the road to this month’s Quake Con. Id Software and Sabre Interactive have said that they don’t want to shake up the game’s meta too muuch while the tournament is ongoing but there have been a number of game breaking bugs including rockets that do 0 DMG and stuttering lag that hamper the online experience. With that being said this patch is more of a collection of long requested fixes and tech tweaks – you’ll see very little Champion balancing happening during the Regionals.
Previously Quake Champions only had a very basic friends list with CBT 13 a whole number of social options including spectating friends, ignoring players and a reporting system to root out abusive players.
New Social Screen
- Player can observe all current in-match players and blocked players
- Player can now blacklist players, which blocks invites from unwanted users
- Player can now ignore user invites
- Player can now report users
On the tech side of things id & co have fixed several issues with system auto detect, implemented a new “play now” screen and introduced some fixes for the ever present memory leaks which have plagued the game since the first Closed Beta but this issue has been steadily improving with each major patch.
- Fixed an issue that could occur when the game would not revert to the player’s native resolution when changing to Borderless mode with a lower aspect ratio.
- Fixed a localization text issue
- Updated the list of supported video cards for a correct auto-detect
- Fixed an issue where killed players could become stuck in place and invincible
- Fixed an issue where local configurations would not be saved properly when including Cyrillic letters
- Fixed an issue where Champions were not synchronized with moving objects
- Optimized various memory leaks
New Play Now Screen
- New screen layout integrated
- Player can choose multiple game modes in quick match and match-make between them randomly
- Tutorial videos available from Play Now screen
Clutch has seen the most adjustment of any Champion in the game. Originally positioned as a Tank class hero with a strong barrier shield, Clutch was later on adjusted to include the ability to float through the air while deploying its shield. This was later patched out and now Clutch is the focus of the majority of the Champion adjustments – with a new acceleration icon and several small statistics changes.
Perhaps the one bug fix everyone in the Quake community has been finally implemented: Rocket Launchers finally work again! No more Nyx players taking three rockets to the face without taking a single point of damage. Rockets also no longer penetrate Clutch’s shield.
- Clutch’s “Advanced Shielding” passive has been removed
- Clutch’s Active Ability cool-down has now been set to 40 seconds
- Clutch’s Health and Armor stats revised: Health from 150/150 to 100/100; Armor from 50/100 to 100/150
- Slash’s Starting Armor increased +25 ap
- Profile Progression: XP requirements tweaked
- Random Drop: Rebalance of drop rates in Backpacks Crates and Reliquaries
- Crafting: Item prices in shards and dismantle values changed
- New effect for Ranger’s Dire Orb
- Fixed a light effect issue affecting Anarki’s Banner vanity item
- Fixed an issue affecting audio during Anarki’s hover board movement
- Fixed issue that could occur with BJ Blazkowicz’s shooting animation while dual-wielding
- Fixed a twitching animation issue with BJ Blazkowicz after being shot while idle
- Enemies within 120u of the player are outlined
- New Clutch acceleration icon added
- Fixed an issue where rock and drill medals pop without hitting the 1000 damage requirements
- Fixed an issue when RL damage through Clutch’s shield