Quickly played action-oriented survival games appear to be all the rage lately, with some of the bigger titles like H1Z1 splitting their offerings into multiple games. It should come as no surprise then that ARK: Survival Evolved would join in on the fun.
Titled Ark: Survival of the Fittest, this new stand-alone ‘multiplayer online survival arena’ (MOSA???) allows players to literally drop into the world of ARK and rush to supply rich locations before their opponents do. Survival of the Fittest offers a number of different play-styles: there’s the traditional free-for-all battle royale and 2/4/6 player team competition. If the title of the game sounds familiar that is because we covered the massive e-sports tournament that launched last year featuring the Survival of the Fittest game mode.
One of the coolest things about this game is that it is absolutely free and will continue to receive updates for the foreseeable future with absolutely no monetization from the developers. If you own Ark Survival Evolved you can also earn exclusive cosmetic items for that game by playing Survival of the Fittest.
This game is clearly being positioned as an e-sports staple aimed at streamers and folks who competitive play. Survival of the Fittest has both unranked unofficial servers and ranked servers that will offer players a chance to take part in the in-game Survivor League with over $50,000 dollars in monthly prizes.
Here is a rundown of all of the game’s features from the official announcement:
- Free, Action-Packed Core Survival Gameplay
- Fully functional spectator system, including First Person Spectator!
- 75+ Creatures to Tame and Ride at full launch
- Multiple Official Game Modes (FFA, 2 Player Tribes, 4 Player Tribes, and 6 Player Tribes)
- Game-Changing Tameable Super Creatures (Dragon, Giant Ape, Brood Mother)
- Mysterious “Evolution Events”
- Arsenal of Weapons, Traps, Armor, Structures and other Items from
- Primitive to Modern Tech Tiers
- Official Ranked and Unofficial customized player-hosted servers
- Upcoming Mod Support
- Robust Ranking and Tournament System
- Exclusive SotF Cosmetic Items that can also be used in ARK: Survival Evolved
- One-to-Six Player Tribes
- Custom-Painted “War Banners” enable Tribes to show off their team spirit on Flags across their army of Dinosaurs, and are also broadcast on the gigantic billboards during game events. Just don’t draw anything offensive!
- Top-ranked players are listed dynamically on SurviveTheArk.com as the ‘Survivor League’[survivetheark.com], and provided with over $50,000 in monthly cash prizes!
- A custom soundtrack written by award-winning composer of “Ori and the Blind Forest”, Gareth Coker!