Over the weekend Electronic Arts revealed the first in-engine trailer for their upcoming reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series during the annual Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim California. If you were expecting a gameplay trailer you might be a little disappointed as the trailer released by EA is full of up-close shots of in-engine assets and cinematic cuts. There is no doubt that the trailer is absolutely gorgeous and action packed but the looming question is of course ‘does it represent the final game?’ with no gameplay footage available that is a question we don’t have the answer to right now.
EA did reveal some details about the game when demoing it to the press. Here is a brief rundown:
- The first DLC for Star Wars Battlefront is titled “Battle of Jakku” and is intended as a tie-in for the upcoming Star Wars Episode IV: The Force Awakened. It will be available for download on December 8th or a week early if you pre-order the game.
- There will be no single-player campaign but there will be a limited selection of single-player / split-screen offline missions.
- Multiplayer will be limited to 40 players per match.
- DICE is aiming to have the game run at 60 frames per second.
- The game takes place during the original trilogy and will let you play as iconic hero units like Bobba Fett and Darth Vader.