Nintendo is going to unleash possibly the largest post-release update to Splatoon 2 tomorrow that brings with it new stages, an increased level cap, holiday themed weapons and so much more.
Like with previous content drops the four brand new stages won’t be immediately available once tomorrow’s patch goes live. Instead they’ll be drip fed to players over the course of several weeks to give Squid Kids something to look forward too through the early winter. Splatoon 2’s first brand new stage is the shopping mart styled MakoMart which will go live on Black Friday, November 24th. Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall will make a return from the original Splatoon on Wii U sometime in the future.
Other quality of life improvements coming to the game include the ability to swap out weapon and clothing loadouts between matches without having to exit the lobby screen – in my opinion this is one of the biggest ones. While going back to Inkopolis Square is fun, especially to look at the memes, it does break the flow a bit. For all those max level squids out there, the maximum ranking is being increased to 99 with this patch as as well.
With over 140 pieces of gear coming in tomorrow’s patch – which include some fashionable new winter gear and a new mode coming in the December Patch, it looks like there is a lot of life left in Splatoon 2!
Check out some screen-grabs from the trailer below, as well as Nintendo’s official descriptions of the major additions coming with the November and December updates.
Some action shots from inside the shopping center map. Get your black friday deals on fresh INK!
Check out some of the brand new apparel coming with tomorrow’s update:
Official Nintendo Provided Patch Notes:
Nov. 23 Update
- Four New Battle Stages: While four new battle stages are coming to Splatoon 2, they won’t all be available immediately after downloading the update. Like with previous additions, the stages will roll out over the subsequent weeks, giving players new surprises as they play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The first new battle stage, MakoMart, will be available to play on Black Friday, Nov. 24, with Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon. The new MakoMart stage is a giant superstore-style stage, so what better time to play than on Black Friday! Shellendorf Institute is new to the series, while Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall are popular stages returning from the original Splatoon game.
- New Salmon Run Stage: Fan-favorite multiplayer mode* Salmon Run is getting a new stage. After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms. Teamwork is required to use the fan lifts effectively.
- New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear are being added to Splatoon 2. These include shoes, headgear and clothes, like a motocross mask, and additional winter clothing (perfect for the cold weather!), as well as returning items from the original Splatoon game.
- New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavored Bottom Feeders and classically trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory are contributing new songs to the already music-rich game.
- New Hairstyle: When customizing an Inkling, four new hairstyles will be available to choose from – two each for female and male characters.
- Higher Level Caps: Currently, players are maxed out at Level 50. After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99. If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they’ll have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
- New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share in-game photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square. Players can also add fun filters to their images.
- Convenient Gear Swapping: Players that want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means players can play the next battle with the same players.
- Clam Blitz: In Clam Blitz, competing Inklings are tasked with collecting clams scattered around the stage. After one is picked up, the clam follows the player. The objective is to throw the clam into the basket near the opponent’s base. The first team to score 100 points wins! But, of course, this being the fiercely competitive world of Splatoon 2, things are not as easy as they seem. The baskets are protected by a barrier, which much be destroyed first. After collecting 10 clams, the player will earn a Power Clam. These super-powered clams are the key to breaking the barrier, so strategy will definitely be involved in which clams are used to destroy the barrier and which are used to earn points. Not to mention the extra-satisfying opportunity to steal opponents’ clams by splatting them…